Questions and Answers
Q: My wife recently started a walking
program and has progressed to a fairly long course.
Aside from watching for cars, what are some good safety
Walking is excellent exercise and your wife is to
be congratulated. Here are a few tips to keep in mind
when it comes to safety:
1) Tell someone when you will be out walking and
when you expect to return. Carry some identification
and a quarter for a phone call.
2) Don't expect drivers to watch out for you. When
crossing an intersection, establish eye contact with
drivers before proceeding.
3) Dress correctly. If it's dark, wear white or,
better yet, reflective clothing.
4) Don't wear headphones. They tune you out from
your surroundings and make you vulnerable to all sorts
of hazards — cars, bikes, dogs, etc.
5) Be careful of walking in remote areas alone. (Hmmm..
If you take up walking too, then your wife won't have
to worry about that last one. Just a thought.)
Return to questions